Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Well, DUH.

So you know how I just couldn't figure out what was wrong with Abram, and why he wasn't sleeping at night? Yeah, well...mystery solved. And I feel pretty stupid.


He had his GI scan and they said they didn't see any reflux. I figured they didn't look long enough or he didn't drink enough of the barium (both of which may still be true). But the more I tried to hash it all out in my head the next few days, the more I was struck by the thought: he just seems uncomfortable.

As it turns out, hunger is uncomfortable. The kid was just hungry. THAT'S IT.


The thought crossed my mind one very early morning after no sleep: What if he's just legitimately hungry all night? Then later that day my Aunt Kathy suggested I beef up his daytime meals a bit.

So Abe ate his regular couple of purees, but then I added in little bites of whatever I was eating, plus a few more hearty meals throughout the day. Then I pumped a bottle and he sucked down a good 5 ounces before bed. He only woke up once that night. Haaaaaallelujah!

My general feeling of denseness is overshadowed by my immense relief of getting to sleep at night again. You'd think by the third kid I'd know ya have to feed 'em.

It just seemed simpler to nurse him for the most part since it was easy on-the-go and required no work in the kitchen. One less meal to prepare, right?

Oh well, I can make light of it now since I'm not on the brink of psychosis from no sleep. Come to think of it, maybe that's why it took me so long to see the problem. My brain was definitely not firing on all cylinders for awhile there.


Not that I'm making any promises that it is now or anything, but at least I have one of my great loves back in my life...my beloved sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave one, I'd love to hear from you!

ClusterMap